Celebrate Coeliac Awareness Week in perfect oaty style
This week is Coeliac UK Awareness Week and, according to Coeliac UK, the national charity for people with coeliac disease, around 1 in 100 people in the UK are estimated to suffer from the condition. However under-diagnosis is a big problem with an estimated 500,000 people in the UK suffering from the condition without knowing. It takes on average 13 years from the onset of symptoms for people to achieve a diagnosis. One in four people diagnosed with coeliac disease were previously treated for IBS.
Last week, we asked almost 2000 people about coeliac disease in a survey, with some surprising results. Of those asked only 29% knew exactly what coeliac disease is, with almost 16% admitting that they had never heard of it at all!
If you know our great range of gluten free products, you’ll know that gluten free oats can be a good source of fibre for those following a gluten free diet. We were shocked to find therefore, that when it came to oats, 67% of people we asked did not know that people with coeliac disease could eat oats as long as they are labelled gluten free – suggesting that lots of coeliacs out there are missing out on our tasty gluten free range. In fact, new guidelines from The British Society of Gastroenterology for the diagnosis and management of coeliac disease says that coeliacs can now introduce gluten free oats into their diet straight away. This is a change from previous advice recommending coelaics should avoid oats for the first 6-12 months after diagnosis. 95% of coeliacs can tolerate gluten free oats, so there’s no excuse not to try our selection!
Going gluten free can make grocery-shopping feel like a minefield. Hidden gluten springs up in the most unexpected places and even the free-from aisle can harbour unhealthy traps such as extra-added sugar. Our gluten free range however is made with pure, uncontaminated gluten free wholegrain oats, providing a safe haven for coeliacs and those intolerant to gluten. Choose from delicious cheesy oatcakes, instant porridge oats, sweet and tasty biscuit breaks and much more for a simple gluten free snack with no health concerns!
While we obviously think our products taste great on their own, we also have some great ideas for ‘jazzing them up’ this Coeliac UK Awareness Week. For a delicious dessert why not try our Chocolate Oat Lime Tart, a classy combination that’s a perfect treat for coeliacs.
Chocolate oat lime tart
Prep Time: 120 mins
Difficulty level: Easy
For the base:
• 2tbsp raw cacao powder
• 150g Nairn’s gluten free oatcakes
• 100g soft pitted dates
• 2tbsp melted coconut butter
• 1tbsp vanilla extract
• 1tsp cinnamon
For the filling:
• 2 ripe avocados
• Zest and juice of 2 limes
• 40g raw cacao powder
• 140g honey, sweet freedom or agave nectar
• 100g coconut butter, melted
• Grated lime zest to decorate.
1. In food processor process the oats with the cacao powder until very fine. Add the dates, coconut butter, vanilla and cinnamon and process to combine.
2. Grease a spring form 20cm / 8 inch cake tin. Press the crust into the pan to form a base.
3. In a high speed blender or food processor place all the filling ingredients and process until thick and creamy. Pour over the base and place in the fridge for 2-3 hours until firm.
4. Scatter over a little grated lime zest to decorate
5. Cut into slices and accompany with some fresh berries to serve.
For more delicious gluten free recipes, click here.