Our 21 day challenge*
Show your wholesome side
Wholegrain oats are tiny yet mighty bundles of plant energy. Including more of them in your diet can have a really positive effect on your digestive system, your heart and your overall health. And with Nairn’s range of oatcakes, flatbreads, biscuits and oat snacks it’s super easy to switch to wholegrain alternatives.
According to psychologists, it takes 21 days to establish a new healthy habit. Listed below are some of the simple ways you can switch & ditch a few of your usual 'default' choices to include more wholesome, wholegrain oats in your diet.
Show your #wholesomeside in our competition and you could WIN a hamper full of Nairn's goodies to help you on your way with your simple swaps, and don't forget to let us know the progress you're making using the hashtags #wholesomeside #NairnsOatcakes
Breakfast of champions
Oats are satisfying and versatile and are a great way to set you up for the day (as many generations of Scots can testify!). They're high in fibre and packed full of vitamins, minerals and nutrients. Start the day as you mean to go on with a hearty bowl of porridge - you can ring the changes by making it slightly different every time. Experiment with your choice of milks and use different combinations of fresh or dried fruits, nuts/nut butters or seeds on top. Try making overnight oats or throw a handful of oats into your favourite smoothie recipe. Or, if you're really pushed for time, a Nairn's Rough or Fine Oatcake with nut butter and a banana is super-easy and super-tasty (and can be eaten as you rush out of the door!)
Ditch the white bread – double your fibre
Swapping one slice of white bread for two Nairn’s Organic Oatcakes instantly doubles your fibre intake. Fibre is essential for a healthy digestive system. Yet surprisingly most of us aren’t getting enough. Instead of the recommended 30g a day for adults the average intake for men is only 20.1g and 17.2g for women. Switch to Nairn’s oatcakes, wholegrain crackers and flatbreads instead of your usual white bread sandwich, and as well as forming a healthy habit in 21 days, here are some of the benefits you might experience.
- Nairn’s oatcakes, flatbreads and crackers are high in fibre, they’ll help fill you up for longer and prevent that energy dip that can lead to you craving more sugar or carbohydrates.
- If you have digestive problems such as bloating, gas or constipation, you could find these symptoms improve within the 21 days.
- Oat fibre helps to bulk up the contents of the digestive tract and can lead to easier, more regular bowel movements.
- Wholegrain oats release their energy slowly so you may experience a range of other benefits related to better blood sugar control. These include improvements in energy, concentration and focus, mood, hormone balance and sleep. You’ll see better improvements in these areas if you’re eating flatbreads or oatcakes as part of a well-balanced diet based on whole foods.
- Oatcakes provide more natural vitamins and minerals – especially compared to white breads. Flours can be stripped of their nutrients as part of the refining process.
- Oats are a prebiotic which ‘feed’ the bifidobacteria in our gut and increase their numbers. There’s a strong connection between the gut and the immune system. The bacteria use oat fibre to produce substances that nourish the gut wall, helping to keep it healthy.
Switch to Nairn’s Biscuit Breaks or Oat Biscuits – reduce your sugar intake
Everyone likes a treat now and again. Nairn’s Biscuit Breaks and Oat Biscuits are made with wholegrain oats and simple, natural ingredients. Switch to Nairn’s biscuits instead of your usual sweet biscuits and as well as forming a healthy habit in 21 days, here are some of the benefits you might experience.
- You could find that your sugar cravings reduce because you’ve lowered your sugar intake. On average, Nairn’s biscuits contain up to 45% less sugar than other sweet biscuit brands.
- Your taste buds should also adapt to slightly less sweetness, and you might even find that previous sweet biscuits no longer tempt you!
- This swap can give you even greater benefits to your digestive health than the swap from bread to flatbreads. As well as eating less wheat and gluten and increasing your fibre intake, you’re also reducing your sugar intake, which can improve the balance of bacteria in the gut.
- This switch can be especially beneficial for your skin. The extra fibre in oat biscuits helps bind toxins and used hormones in the gut, to eliminate them and prevent them from being reabsorbed – which can affect your skin. And because a high sugar intake can contribute to skin problems such as acne and breakouts, cutting your sugar intake could help here too.
- Like when switching bread for flatbreads, you may also experience a range of benefits from having steadier blood sugar levels, such as better concentration, energy and mood.
Switch to Snackers and ditch fried crisps
Handy on-the-go bags of our wholegrain Snackers make an excellent addition to anyone’s bag. Switch to Nairn’s Snackers instead of your usual crisps or savoury snack, and as well as forming a healthy habit in 21 days, here are some of the benefits you might experience.
- Snackers are lower in calories and fat than the average bag of crisps.
- They should also be more filling – because they’re made with wholegrain oats, they’ll break down and release their energy more slowly than potato crisps. This switch could start to help with weight loss – although, this should ideally be in conjunction with other dietary and lifestyle changes if you want to lose weight in a healthy way.
- There are no trans fats either, which are increasingly being seen as carrying unwanted health risks.
- As with the other swaps, you may also see benefits from better blood sugar balance such as better concentration, energy and mood if you were regularly eating crisps and make this swap.
* This is not medical advice but simple tips to show how easy it is to get wholegrain oats into your diet. If in doubt, please speak to your dietician, doctor or nutritionist.