Our 21 day challenge*
Show your wholesome side
Wholegrain oats are tiny yet mighty bundles of plant energy. Including more of them in your diet can have a really positive effect on your digestive system, your heart and your overall health. And with Nairn’s range of oatcakes, flatbreads, biscuits pop oats and oat bars it’s super easy to switch to wholegrain alternatives.
According to psychologists, it takes 21 days to establish a new healthy habit. Listed below are some of the simple ways you can switch & ditch a few of your usual 'default' choices to include more wholesome, wholegrain oats in your diet.
Show your #wholesomeside in our competition and you could WIN a hamper full of Nairn's goodies to help you on your way with your simple swaps, and don't forget to let us know the progress you're making using the hashtags #wholesomeside #NairnsOatcakes
Breakfast of champions
Satisfying and versatile, oats make a great choice for setting you up for the day (as many generations of Scots can testify!). They're high in fibre and packed full of vitamins, minerals and nutrients. With a bit of creativity that hearty bowl of porridge can be a different experience every time. Experiment with your choice of milks and use different combinations of fresh or dried fruits, nuts/nut butters or seeds on top. Try making overnight oats or throw a handful of oats into your favourite smoothie recipe. Or, if you're really pushed for time, a Nairn's Oat Bar (available in three delicious flavours) is a super-easy super-tasty bit of sustenance that’s great for those ‘on-the-go’ mornings.
Fanatic about fibre
Fibre is essential for a healthy digestive system. Yet surprisingly most of us aren’t getting enough. Instead of the recommended 30g a day for adults the average intake for men is only 20.1g and 17.2g for women. Oats are a fantastic source of fibre so naturally products like our Oat Bars and Pop Oats are helpful in hitting that 30g. Swapping one slice of white bread for two Nairn’s Organic Oatcakes instantly doubles your fibre intake. Nairn’s oatcakes, flatbreads and crackers are high in fibre, they’ll help fill you up for longer and prevent that energy dip that can lead to you craving more sugar or carbohydrates.
- Oats help fill you up for longer and prevent that energy dip that can lead to you craving more sugar or carbohydrates.
- If you have digestive problems such as bloating, gas or constipation, you could find these symptoms improve within the 21 days.
- The fibre found in oats helps to bulk up the contents of the digestive tract and can lead to easier, more regular bowel movements.
- Wholegrain oats release their energy slowly so you may experience a range of other benefits related to better blood sugar control. These include improvements in energy, concentration and focus, mood, hormone balance and sleep.
- Oats provide more natural vitamins and minerals.
- Oats are a prebiotic which ‘feed’ the bifidobacteria in our gut and increase their numbers. There’s a strong connection between the gut and the immune system. The bacteria use oat fibre to produce substances that nourish the gut wall, helping to keep it healthy.
Reduce your sugar intake
Nairn’s Oat Bars are made with wholegrain oats and simple, natural ingredients and a whopping 40% less sugar than the average cereal bar. By switching to them, you might experience a few other benefits.
- You could find that your sugar cravings reduce because you’ve lowered your sugar intake.
- Your taste buds should also adapt to slightly less sweetness, and you might even find that sweet biscuits no longer tempt you!
- Reducing your sugar intake can improve the balance of bacteria in the gut.
- This switch can be especially beneficial for your skin. The extra fibre in oat bars helps bind toxins and used hormones in the gut, to eliminate them and prevent them from being reabsorbed – which can affect your skin. Sugar often contributes to skin problems such as acne and breakouts, so cutting your sugar intake could help here too.
- You might also experience a range of benefits from having steadier blood sugar levels, such as better concentration, energy and mood.
Ditch fried crisps and switch to Pop Oats
Handy on-the-go bags of Pop Oats make an excellent addition to anyone’s bag, desk drawer or snack cupboard. Switching to them from oil fried crisps come with its fair share of benefits!
- At 83 calories per bag, they’re way lower than the average bag of crisps.
- You may even find them more filling because they’re made with wholegrain oats. They’ll break down and release their energy more slowly than potato crisps. This switch could start to help with weight loss – although, this should ideally be in conjunction with other dietary and lifestyle changes if you want to lose weight in a healthy way.
- There are no hydrogenated fats either, which are being increasingly linked to unwanted health risks.
- As with the other swaps, you may also see benefits from better blood sugar balance such as better concentration, energy and mood when compared to a diet that regularly includes crisps.
*This is not medical advice but simple tips to show how easy it is to get wholegrain oats into your diet. If in doubt, please speak to your dietician, doctor or nutritionist.